California Auto Insurance Coverage
No matter if you’re planning a day’s trip or a family outing, you need to make sure you are protected with proper car insurance coverage.
California imposes stiff penalties for a lapse in auto insurance coverage. The court may impound your car and hold it until you are able to show proof of insurance coverage. If you are pulled over without proof of car insurance or any other form of financial responsibility, you may face the following fines:
- $100 – $200 – first offense
- $200 – $500 for each offense within 3 years after your first.
California is known for being an innovative leader when it comes to laws – and car insurance is no exception.
For example, if you have a clean driving record, California insurance companies are required to offer you a good driver’s discount. They can’t use your credit score to price your premium.
California Minimum liability requirement laws* requires that you are able to cover costs associated with damages or injuries you may be responsible for in a motor vehicle accident. A standard auto insurance liability policy will meet California’s minimum requirements:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person.
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
- $5,000 for damage to property.
If you decide not to buy car insurance, there are other options that you can choose to meet your financial responsibility requirements, including:
- A $35,000 cash deposit with the CA DMV.
- A Certificate of Self-Insurance from the DMV.
Only available if you own a fleet of at least 25 cars registered to your name.
- A surety bond of $35,000 from any company licensed to do business in CA.
Not having car insurance in California can also result in a suspension of your car’s registration if:
- The CA DMV is notified of your insurance cancellation and you have not replaced it within 45 days.
- Your car insurance information is not given to the DMV within 30 days of your car’s initial registration or transfer of ownership.
- You registered your car with false evidence of insurance.
By law, all car insurance companies are required to notify local DMV offices of dropped or lapsed insurance policies. Don’t risk a suspension of your vehicle’s registration. Call now for your free car insurance quote.
We’ve got you covered.
*Please note state minimums may change from time to time. Check with California DMV if you have additional questions about current state minimums.